Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sisters, Sisters

Isn't it strange that just when you're doubting yourself or your abilities, someone comes along and blesses you out of nowhere! My sister asked me to come with her to one of her treatments tomorrow at an infusion center. It's a process that needs at least 5 hours of the day and leaves her feeling tired and achy. I have no problem being in hospitals or around blood, needles and guts, but for some reason, every time Heather needs an infusion of either steroids or an IGD treatment ... 

I just feel so helpless ... 

If she's at home, I can run upstairs to get that one color of nail polish she wants or the face wash she forgot. If she's in the hospital, I can bug the staff for blankets and ice chips. Kind of a difference. 

So, just now, as I was debating even going with my mom and sister early tomorrow morning, she reminded me that she needs me still:
"A joyful heart is good medicine" ~Psalms 17v22~

Nobody can administer better "medicine" than my sister. I asked Jennifer Lovejoy Durrant to accompany me to my infusion tomorrow morning. There's never a dull moment with that girl! She will pull out ALL the stops to make sure I'm comfortable and have a perma-smile on my face. Not only that but she made me a ton of deviled eggs (Jenn's are the best!!!!!!!! and my stomach can handle them :)

So thankful for you Jenn Love, you're the BEST sister of the world!
I wasn't going to say anything about my 'Self Doubting Thomas' mentality, but the timing was just right. I guess the Holy Spirit used her sincere words to urge me into another day of loving service. 

I will never let on to her that I hate these days. I love that there's a potential treatment, but I hate that the ones who want her healthy and happy more than anyone else are also the ones that fight along with her. But that's the definition of family where the Durrants are involved. I will assume the role of older sister time and time again just to show to others that I mean to keep her safe as she heals. 

I am the fence around a playground, 
enabling safety in playtime. 
I am the guardrail on the road, 
reminding a driver to turn. 
I am the lions roar 
that warns you if you come too close to what's dear. 
I am the soft, downy pillow 
that collects every tear and secret.
I am the clown that presents balloon animals 
to entice a smile. 
I am the friend 
who defends another's virtue in private.
I am the Aaron to her Moses; 
I hold her head when she can't. 
I the friend she wants. 
I am her helper

I am her sister. 

There will never be a day when I don't doubt myself. But just for today, I am certain that I am a good sister and a cherished one at that. 

If you remember, pray for Heather's health to grow.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for Heather; and for you, too, sister Jenn. YAY FOR SISTERS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww that's so sweet! You are an awesome sister Jenn, to be there for Heather! She is one blessed girl! :)

    ReplyDelete