Sunday, August 22, 2010

Certainty

Isn't it strange that people cry at funerals?? Not to say I'm clear of this fact, but it's becoming a foreign concept to me.

In July, My Grandma Guerry, who was really my great grandmother, passed away at 94 years of age. As we were sitting at her graveside service, I looked around at all of her children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, great great grandchildren and dear friends. Only a handful of the 30 of us were crying.

It struck me that those who were crying were not believers. They were crying because they knew they would not see her again. They were crying because they really had lost her. 

Those who remained composed had a look on their faces that could only be described as peaceful. They were not weeping, but they shed tears. They were not mourning as they knew they would only be separated for a while. 

The concept of salvation has never in my life effected me as it did on that day. While we were celebrating her life her on earth with us we were rejoicing ten fold in the new life she has with Him. It started as a tingle in my belly and slowly expanded and within a matter of moments, my heart was pounding violently and my palms were sweaty with emotion! I could hardly contain myself! I understood!

This is exactly why He died!

He conquered death so we could be with Him! We have that assurance, that certainty that this most powerful being covered us! Death has no hold on us! Our bodies will still pass away, for sure, but the death I'm talking about is worse than losing a pulse. This death means separation from God. 

He saw that our nasty sinful selves would be unable to be with Him, which is all He wanted. He wants to be with us! So as a solution, He died. Full on, straight up died. But that's not it. He came back to life! Since He did it and we believe in Him, then we have nothing to worry about when it comes to death! He's got us covered!

It's so amazing to me to think that my mentors and family members and friends that have died are now dancing with Him and singing to Him. It makes me jealous! 

Now that I've had this epiphany, I have this new-found, strong desire to go out and tell people about it. There is no way someone does not deserve to hear about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment