Friday, August 20, 2010

Thoughts and Reflections

I have been thinking lately about the future. I know that I have no idea what will actually happen, but I still find reason to dwell on the unknown. I discovered that I don’t know what I really want to do. There are things I can do well and there are things I love doing and things I do well that I love doing. But somehow I am still uncertain about my eventual path or current passions even.

I was doing a quiet time the other day [about a week ago] and I wasn’t really digging the topic I was on at the time. So I closed my Bible to just journal about things and talk to God that way while listening to Natalie Grant singing “Our Hope Endures” [a personal favorite].
“You would think only so much can go wrong. Calamity only strikes once. And you assume that this one has suffered her share. Life will be kinder from here.
But sometimes the sun stays hidden for years, sometimes the sky rains night after night. When will it clear?
But our hope endures the worst of conditions! It’s more than our optimism. Let the earth quake! Our hope is unchanged!
How do we comprehend peace within pain? Or joy at a good man’s wake? Walk a mile with a woman whose body is torn with illness but she marches on.
But sometimes the sun stays hidden for years, sometimes the sky rains night after night. When will it clear?
But our hope endures the worst of conditions! It’s more than our optimism. Let the earth quake! Our hope is unchanged!
Emmanuel, God is with us. El Shaddai, all sufficient. Emmanuel, God is with us. El Shaddai, all sufficient. Emmanuel, God is with us. El Shaddai, all sufficient. 
We never walk alone and this is our hope.
Our hope endures the worst of conditions! It’s more than our optimism. Let the earth quake! Let the earth quake! Let the earth quake! Our hope is unchanged! “

Then I started wandering [mentally]. I thought about how we have a heavenly hope. A supernatural assurance. A hidden certainty. We have idea what will actually happen but we don’t need to know because we trust in the most powerful being! Paul said it best in Philippians 3:8, “I belong to Christ.”

Then I thought about the way that the passage in James 4:13-15 ties into this in that we lift every aspect of our lives up to God. We have no idea what He has planned for us. But we know that He has our best at heart which means growing closer to Him. THAT is the best. We need nothing else.
“Now listen, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go into this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.’ Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are but a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, ‘If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.’ “

I still have no idea what will happen but I know for sure that no matter what it is, it’ll be the best for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment